![]() |
| 9 years old, maybe? Even a babyface can grow crows feet if he squints too much. I could also rock the short shorts and tube socks back then. Shara was an all-star with the jams. |
I know everyone ages, but I half expected it would be everyone but me. Isn't that the way things work?
Here are my top 10 physical evidences of my three decades:
1. My hairline. Yikes. It's moving.
2. I've got these creases that emanate from the corners of my eyes and try to touch my ears.
3. My cheeks wrinkle up to frame my mouth when I smile, then sag back down when I stop smiling. Good reason to always be smiling, I guess. :)
4. I'm going gray. Jen first discovered it when we were idling away our time at Heathrow in 2008. Now it's spreading to the top, too. I knew it was getting more prominent when cousin Joy was here to visit this spring (2011), and she resounded, "Joe! You have gray around the edges!" I think I wear it dignifiedly.
5. There's this one arm-hair that is like 2 inches long just below my elbow. Weird. I'll leave out details about nose-hairs. But my eyebrows are... umm... they're starting to bush out like my dad's. (No offense, dad!)
6. My footwear collection now has more formal shoes than sports shoes. (Remember when life was simple and you had one pair of church shoes and one pair of school shoes?)
7. I can't camp out without a cushy ground mat, and these days I need ear plugs to mute those fiesty critters who scavenge for food all night long.
8. After working outside (leaves, cars, etc) or playing sports, I've got to use a massager or warm shower to loosen my muscles, or I'm stiff for 3 days.
9. I have begun to notice things like ride comfort in a car, legroom on an airplane, and have to get up and stretch after sitting for a while. I can't kneel for more than a minute without my legs falling asleep.
10. I am now a snorer. I think. I've not really heard myself, but sources say it's disruptive to sound(less) sleep.

You still look so young!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the jams shout out.
Special shout out to Mom, too, for making them for us! :)
Really, going grey? I just got a haircut and its wierd to see all that grey hair on the floor. And really, your shorts were jams too. I think I made about 15 pair that summer. Just cranked them out and was happy to do so. I knew the trend wouldn't last forever and it didn't. I can't say that I ever really liked the striped socks but they were the thing at times...and then was it last year, I started seeing them on girls. serious?! YOu are going to always look good. So I know you aren't worried.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I read the wikipedia page on jams and realized it's more about the fabric choice than the cut (though they were designed as board shorts, mostly).
ReplyDeleteThe gray is real. It is especially apparent when that straggly wirey wisp wants to stand on end rather than laying down with the rest.
And I like your Mark Twain quote.
ReplyDelete